help me im falling

Where in a naive Scottish boy living in Australia tries to make sense of his own life, and those lives about him.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Watchu Readin' Fer?

Been tagged by the lovely mskp.

So here Goes

1. one book I've read more than once.
Donna Tartt - The Secret History,
Is probably one of the most audacious debut novels of the 90's. It appeals to me on so many levels, the bacchanalian excess, the college campus life, the inspiring lecturer, her use of language. That it's an imporatant book with a thrashy pulp novel plot. I usually read it once a year. A true modern classic.

2. one book I would want on a desert island.
The SAS survival guide.
Self explanatory

3. one book that made me laugh.
John Kennedy Toole - A Confederacy Of Dunces,
As sarcastic and caustic as Jonathan Swift who he stole the title from. Ignatius is a man for our times. Blithely farting away to himself.

4. one book that made me cry.
Andrew O Hagan - The Missing
A Scottish author not much older than myself. This first work of non-fiction weaved together stories of people who had gone missing in the uk. It dealt with the twin stories of infamous Scottish serial killer Bible John, and the latterday demons of Fred and Rose West. Utterly compellin and heartbreaking. He instills the book with such heart. Highly recommended.

5. one book I wish I'd written
F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby,
Because it's the greatest novel in the English langauge.

6. one book I wish had never been written.
The books of the religions so many ascribe to.
Or at least put them back into context.

7. one book I'm currently reading.
Tony Parsons - Stories We Could Tell.
It's fun and lightweight and Tony like Nick Hornby does men of a certain age so well. And it was the only book in Brisbane airport worth picking up.

8. one book I've been meaning to read.
Ever since seeing him interviewed on highlight reel of Parkinson greatest interviews, I have been meaning to read Borges Labyrinths. In the interview on Parkinson he described the War in the Falklands thus, "Two bald men fighting over a comb". Genius

9. one book that changed my life.
Leo Tolstoy - Anna Karenin.
It made me realisethat there were authors outside of the USA, as a student I ahd immersed mysef in American authors, wether it be Mark Twain or William Burroughs. Reading Anna Karenin opened my eyes. Probably my favourite book of all time.

10. one book that made me think.
Christopher Hitchens - The Trial Of Henry Kissinger.
Since 9/11 old Chris took a step closer to the right, but if you read this you can see where is heart really lies. Hitchens, I believe is one of our great modern day polemicsits. And Kissinger shoud have appeared in the dock a long time ago.

I tag book club queen Miss Holly C
Smartie Artie Mr Richard Watts

That is all.

9 Comments:

At Thu Sept 07, 06:20:00 pm GMT-7, Blogger LadyCracker said...

I distinctly remember reading The Secret History over the course of about four days during a getting- over-a-heartbreak-holiday. I absolutely loved it. Good choice.

 
At Thu Sept 07, 10:02:00 pm GMT-7, Blogger la nadine said...

i feel like i know you so much better after reading that.

and i like what i see!

x

 
At Thu Sept 07, 10:07:00 pm GMT-7, Blogger davethescot said...

Ladycracker, it's soooooo good isn't it.

la nadine, awwww thank you. for that i tag you.

 
At Mon Sept 11, 01:56:00 am GMT-7, Blogger la nadine said...

already did a meme this week, and that is my quota.

maybe next week.

x

 
At Mon Sept 11, 06:37:00 am GMT-7, Blogger Bookeboy said...

Hello Dave,

I'd like to say that I agree with and say that Tolstoy is unmatched but I cannot for I have only recently fallen in love with George Eliot whom I think you might appreciate as well. What's more I can offer you bite sized morsels, like a guy flogging sausages in a supermarket, of her at my blog. May i suggest her Daniel Deronda. Try before you buy!!

john

 
At Tue Sept 12, 12:46:00 am GMT-7, Blogger Bookeboy said...

Hello Dave,

I'm very surprised you were made to study Middlemarch in year ten. I would have burnt my copy if i were made to read it as a sixteen year old.

Did you study here in Oz? surely not? we study comic books in year ten here...

(i hope this stranger is not so strange now that you have had a chance to glance at my blog.)

john

 
At Wed Sept 13, 05:37:00 am GMT-7, Blogger Bookeboy said...

Hello Dave,

When I was eighteen I left Sydney to travel around Europe. Why? I have no idea why, and had none at the time. Thankfully the Europeans were able to supply an answer. Culture. I was shamed by my ignorance and returned home to read.

Admittedly, while at school I was a poor student, but I do feel that I may have been ill served by the school system here to some extent. Your reading list is impressive and would be a rather daunting prospect for many Australian students, although, I daresay, had I been listening, I may have discovered that I too was meant to read a few of them.

Missed opportunities... Yet I'm happy to meet them later in life.

Thanks for the list.

John

 
At Wed Sept 13, 11:09:00 pm GMT-7, Blogger mskp said...

oh dave, i too love 1, 3 and 5. number 10 leaves me cold though - i'm like pavlov's dog now, every time i see hitchens i want to stab myself in the face with a fork.

and your desert island selection: choice.

 
At Sun Sept 24, 06:08:00 pm GMT-7, Blogger richardwatts said...

I've responded to your tag at long last, Dave.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home